Silence, 1874

 

Silence was commissioned by Levi H. Willard for the New York City Lodge of the Masonic Order. Willard was a friend of Saint-Gaudens' father and of his former cameo master, Jules Le Brethon. The subject is one of the "great Masonic virtues." The commission was received just before Saint-Gaudens left for Rome in 1873, and was carved in marble by Italian stonecutters. Saint-Gaudens completed finishing touches on the figure in New York City. Silence was unveiled in May of 1876 in the Grand Lodge, but was moved to the Masonic Hospital in Utica, NY, in 1923.

 




Marble, 8 feet (2.44 m.) high, Masonic Soldier's and Sailor's Hospital, Utica, NY