Bronze figure, 9 feet 1 inch (2.77 m.)

 

The Pilgrim, 1903-4

The figure standing is similar to The Puritan but with reworking of the head, leg, and the left hand; alterations in the cloak; and reversal of the book, now labeled HOLY BIBLE. Commissioned by the New England Society of Pennsylvania, the pedestal was designed by the architect Charles A. Platt. Saint-Gaudens, who received $10,000 for the commission, was assisted by Henry Hering and Frances Grimes in the work. Originally installed in City Hall Plaza, The Pilgrim was moved to Fairmount Park in 1920.