The Saint-Gaudens Memorial was founded in 1919 to preserve and exhibit Augustus Saint-Gaudens’ home, studios and estate. The trustees operated the Saint-Gaudens site as a museum from 1927 until 1965, when they donated the property and collection of art to the National Park Service. To this day, the Memorial continues to play an important role as a partner of the Site, sponsoring programs and activities that promote public awareness of Saint-Gaudens, his work, and sculpture in general. Its income is derived from a pool of invested funds and from contributions from individuals and foundations. The Memorial is a private, non-profit organization chartered by the State of New Hampshire with an IRS designation as a 509(a)3, a supporting organization that is a charity carrying out its exempt purposes by supporting another exempt organization, in this case the Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site.
Each year the Saint-Gaudens Memorial sponsors a summer concert series at the Site, as well as a series of art exhibitions in the Picture Gallery, both programs traditional to the site since 1948. The Memorial also contributes toward the ongoing conservation treatment of museum objects, acquires new objects for the park’s museum collections, and sponsors a Fellowship and educational programs for diverse audiences.